How to Care for Cashmere Clothing
Cashmere is the height of luxury and a staple in winter wardrobes. Not only is it cozy and comfortable, but it’s also eight times warmer than sheep’s wool – allowing you to be warm without all the bulk.
Cashmere knitwear, when properly cared for, can last for decades. While you may think that the proper care routine for cashmere is high maintenance, it really couldn’t be simpler. A little time and attention are all you need to ensure your cashmere clothing stays in mint condition for years to come.
Caring for your cashmere clothing
If you’ve looked at the care instructions on your cashmere garment, you’ve likely seen the words “dry clean only.” However, it’s possible – and even ideal – to wash your cashmere clothing at home. Follow these steps to wash your cashmere clothing at home.
- Fill a washing basin with cold water and mild detergent.
- Allow your cashmere to soak for five minutes, then rinse completely under cold water.
- Pull the clothing out of the basin and compress it into a ball to remove the extra water.
- Lay your clothing on a flat towel and roll it up to remove any remaining water.
- Lay your clothing on a rack to dry.
The drying process requires patience. Your cashmere garment can take days to dry, and when it’s wet, it’s vulnerable. Wet cashmere is delicate, so avoid wringing it out. Once you’ve rolled it out and laid it to dry, patiently wait for it to complete the drying process.
If you don’t have the time to wash your cashmere clothing by hand, it is possible to wash it in your washing machine. Put the clothing in a mesh bag and wash it on the gentle cycle in cold water. Follow the same process to dry your cashmere – don’t put it in the dryer, as it will lead it to shrink!
Tips and tricks for caring for cashmere clothing
Beyond washing your cashmere correctly, these cashmere care products and tips can help you maintain your cashmere knitwear.
- Shave your cashmere regularly. Natural fibers can pill where friction occurs, especially when the garment is brand new. The Pilo Fabric Shaver can help you keep your garment free from fuzz.
- Let your cashmere rest. As long as you didn’t spill anything on your garment during the day, you should aim to wear your cashmere three times before washing it. Of course, adjust that number accordingly based on wearing over base layers or an increase in sweat. A knitwear fabric spray can help your cashmere smell fresh in between washes.
- Avoid hanging your cashmere products. This will distort the shape of the garment. Instead, fold them and place them in a drawer with a sachet that includes essential oils to maintain the freshness of the garment.
- Be sure to wash your garments before storing them for the season – you don’t want moths to be attracted to your garments due to smell! Spraying a knitwear fabric spray designed to keep moths away from your clothes can also keep your cashmere safe in the off-season.
Now that you know how to care for your cashmere knitwear, you don’t need to worry about it being too high maintenance! Go stock up on some luxurious and cozy sweaters that you know you’ll feel great in.